Vicissitudes of Spring




The Wind
by Robert Louis Stevenson

I saw you toss the kites on high
And blow the birds about the sky;
And all around I heard you pass
Like ladies' skirts across the grass--
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!

I saw the different things you did,
But always you yourself you hid.
I felt you push, I heard you call,
I could not see yourself at all--
O wind, a-blowing all day long
O wind, that sings so loud a song!

O you that are so strong and cold
O blower, are you young or old?
Are you beast of field or tree,
Or just a stronger child than me?
O wind, a blowing all day long
O wind, that sings so loud a song!



Image 1 by dps
Image 2 by meanest indian

Comments

Rudee said…
Perfect. I heard it blowing all night long and all through the day too. At times it made the rain go sideways.
david mcmahon said…
RLS is one of my favourites. And with regard to kites - they were a huge part of my childhood. So much so, in fact, that there is a kite battle described in my first novel!
Kathleen said…
R--I love sideways rain. During the day, though, when I can actually see it. And storms, wonderful green storms than portend tornados. Just calls forth my wild side. Scares the daylights out of my family. Who are those people?
D--Ah, RLS...my mother read A Child's Garden of Verses to me from very early on, and I'm sure that has much to do with why I Iove the feel of language to this day. Sounds like your novel with the kite battle is a must read!

Popular Posts