'The gifts of the night'



12-2-09
By Chris Heeter

This full moon night
may your heart enlighten with the sky
finding companionship in darkness
learning again and again
--not resisting--
the gifts of the night.

I wish you trust this full moon eve
knowing you belong
as much in darkness as in light

Bright moon brings shadows and form
leaving off detail and color.
Shows us a different way of seeing
a different way of knowing.
Where much is left to mystery
but all that is needed is illuminated

This same full moon occurs on this same evening
over all the earth
no matter country or creed
no matter despairing or hopeful
no matter woodlands or dessert or city.

Walk in it.
Welcome it.
See with clear eyes and open heart
what is there for all the world this night.

...............

Chris Heeter is a wilderness guide, author, speaker, poet, and leader of The Wilderness Institute. You can sign up to receive a poem written by Chris every Wednesday here. Her book of poetry, Wild Thoughts: Just Outside the Window, is published by Yileen Press.

Image by nordicshutter

Comments

Boozy Tooth said…
Luscious imagery. Luscious words.

Thank you so much.
Pseudo said…
Both the poem and the picture are hauntingly beautiful. I watched the moon rise yesterday at sunset. It was a perfect moment.
Maria said…
Deep and thoughtful....
Lydia said…
Hasn't this full moon been particularly worthy of this kind of glorious writing and photography? I think so!
steven said…
kathleeen, i love that she says "you belong as much in darkness as in light." there's so much in that thought. this is really lovely rich writing. thanks so much!!! steven
Unknown said…
Hi Kathleen,

Beautiful and true words and a super photograph too, showing how beautiful the night can be.

BTW, sorry I can't give you any tips about html and your header; not my strong point!
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
Absolutely lovely!!!!!
Unknown said…
Absolutely beautiful poem and stunning photo!
Isn't it wonderful that we all see the same moon, no matter where we live or what God we pray to?
ellen abbott said…
That was my thought...how wonderful, how cool, that we all se the same moon all over the earth. Kinda like we all smile in the same language.
Joy Tilton said…
I used to tell my Grandson, "Look up and know that someone across the World is looking at the same beautiful moon!" Wasted if we don't take the time to enjoy...
Sandi McBride said…
The words and imagery were fantastic. Wonderfully done.
Sandi
And isn't that moon outside just astonishing ?!
Kathleen said…
@Alix: Lucious--I love it!
Kathleen said…
@PHST: Wow! What magical moment. Did you capture pictures?
Kathleen said…
@gaalikaa: You just summed up Chris Heeter! She's also a delight!
Kathleen said…
@Lydia: It's been spectacular! Yes!
Kathleen said…
@Steven: I love that line, too. I think for many years, I thought my role was to be sunny, but I'm loving discovering the side illuminated by darkness. It's not as frightening as I thought it would be! If you like Chris Heeter's poetry, you might enjoy getting her Wednesday e-mail with a poem she's written that day. I always look forward to it myself! Best wishes!
Kathleen said…
@Derrick: So glad you enjoyed the visit! My guess is I need something like Photoshop to fix my header woes. But I'll keep checking around! Hope you're having a lovely weekend!
Kathleen said…
@Boomer:Thank you! So glad you enjoyed it. I'm imagining you right now with your little charges and keeping up with them. Sending strength your way!
Kathleen said…
@Jane: It certainly is. And at least at this point, it belongs to all of us and none of us!
Kathleen said…
@Joycee: That's so beautiful. Your grandson is soooo lucky to have you.
Kathleen said…
@Sandi: Thank you. It's so fun to put the words and image together-it can keep me entertained into the wee hours of the night!
Kathleen said…
@Ellen: Ah, that's perfect! That we all smile in the same language. May I quote you on that sometime?
Kathleen said…
@Pamela&Edward: Absolutely astonishing. Makes me want to wrap myself up in a cozy blanket, sit outside, and just gaze! (and maybe howl just a little!)

Popular Posts